Maple syrup-glazed Gressingham duck breast, spring onion mash with spring greens and pickled blackberries
Sweet and sour, fresh and fruity - you can taste the joy of spring with this delicious recipe from Nick Orr at The Manor House Hotel in Moreton-in-Marsh!
- 4 x duck breasts, (sinew removed)
- 1 kg Maris piper or rooster potatoes
- 150g salted butter
- 2 x heads of spring greens
- 1 punnet of blackberries
- 100ml sherry or cider vinegar
- 200g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- 250ml Cotteswold Dairy milk
- 3 x spring onions
- Remove all the sinew from the duck breast with a sharp knife and place breasts in fridge.
- For the mash, peel the potatoes and cover with water until the potatoes are submerged, add a little salt and bring them to the boil.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove them and pass through a ricer (alternatively use a hand masher), and add the butter and milk to get a silky-smooth texture. Gently fry the spring onions but do not colour them and add them to the mash, season and set aside.
- To make the pickled blackberries, bring the sugar and vinegar and water to the boil, place the blackberries into the liquid and let them cool down naturally.
- For the spring greens, begin by cutting the core out of each leaf, slice into ½ inch pieces and cook in salted water until just cooked with a little bite.
- Warm a pan and place the duck breasts skin side down, season and turn over when the skin is golden.
- Place the duck in a preheated oven at 200°C and cook for 8-10 mins, remove when the duck is still pink.
- While the duck is still warm add the maple syrup to the skin. Serve with the accompaniments as in the picture.
Oyster Bay Marlborough Pinot Noir £12.99
This wine expresses aromatic cherry, bright red berries and juicy black plum with a smooth and seductive texture which excellently complements this dish.
*See member offer on Oyster Bay Marlborough Pinot Noir in Wine of the Month*
40p off Cotteswold Dairy Whole, Semi-Skimmed or Skimmed Milk 2LtrLogin to view all this month's exclusive deals
Valid from Friday 2nd March - Friday 6th April 2018
Try some Cotteswold Dairy Milk at a reduced price when you swipe your reward card at the till.
The Manor House Hotel at Moreton-in-Marsh is offering 15% off their Brasserie Menu at lunch or dinner from Monday to Friday inclusive.Login to view all this month’s exclusive deals
Valid from Friday 2nd March - Friday 6th April 2018. Please quote ’Warner’s Budgens’ when making your booking and present your Taste Club Reward card on arrival. Terms and conditions apply.
Chef's table archive
- Pan-fried hake fillets with cauliflower couscous »
- Pan-fried cod with sprouts, pancetta, parsley, potato & saffron poached satsumas »
- Pumpkin soup with cumin cream, toasted pumpkin seeds and maple syrup »
- Mushroom and squash tart with buttered kale and crisp parsnips »
- Baked Fig and Plum Cake »
- Baked Blueberry Cheesecake »
- Chocolate and orange mousse, macerated cherries and amaretti biscuits »
- Roast Cod Loin with Pea and mint risotto, cucumber and radish salsa »
- British asparagus and pea risotto with lemon and crème fraiche »
- Black bream with toasted almonds, brown shrimp and broccoli purée »
- Sweet potato, spinach & feta cheese pie with garlic cream sauce »
- Tenderloin of Todenham Manor Farm pork and black pudding with purple sprouting broccoli, creamed artichokes and crispy leeks »
- Grilled fillet of sea bass with warm vegetable salad and a lemon, honey and soy dressing »
- Pomegranate and Cranberry Fool »
- Roast celeriac soup with horseradish crème fraiche »