Grilled mackerel, beetroot salad with herb crème fraiche and hazelnut
Creative, contemporary cooking from head chef Cedrik Rullier of Wesley House in Winchcombe…
Ingredients for Mackerel
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 lemon
Ingredients for Baked Beetroot
- 4 red beetroot
- 2 yellow beetroot
- 2 candy beetroot
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 150ml olive oil
Ingredients for Herb crème fraiche
- 120ml crème fraiche
- 25ml lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1/2 tsp chives, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 50g hazelnuts
- Baby salad leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 3.
- To make the herb crème fraiche, mix together the crème fraiche, pepper and a large pinch of salt. Add the lemon juice and zest. Whisk the mixture, add the chives and taste to ensure you have the correct seasoning. Place in the fridge to set.
- To prepare the baked beetroot, rub the beetroot in the olive oil, then add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of the thyme. Wrap in kitchen foil and place onto a wire rack in a tray and cook for 20-30 mins, depending on size. Once cooked, take out of the oven and leave to cool down on the rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by combining the ingredients in a jar.
- Remove the foil from the beetroot once cooked and peel off the skin. Dice the beetroot and add the dressing and thyme leaves.
- Trim the mackerel fillets so they are a clean, rectangle shape, and season. Grill for 4-5 minutes until the skin is golden and the fish is cooked through.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Spoon some of the herb crème fraiche on to a plate, add the dressed beetroot salad. Place a mackerel fillet on top and finish with baby salad leaves and toasted hazelnuts.
La Delfina Pinot Grigio Blush £7.99
Mackerel needs a crisp wine with good acidity to cut through the oiliness. As well as a classic white pinot grigio, you could look at a blush rosé, such as La Delfina Pinot Grigio Blush from Italy. Crisp and dry, with strawberry and raspberry flavours and mouth-watering acidity – check out Wine of the Month for more!
20p off Maille Mustard Dijonnaise 200gLogin to view all this month's exclusive deals
Valid from Friday 7th February - Thursday 5th March 2020 in our Broadway, Bidford-on-Avon and Moreton-in-Marsh stores.
Try some Maille Mustard Dijonnaise at a reduced price when you swipe your reward card at the till.
Two-course fixed price lunch for £20.00 at The Wesley House in WinchcombeLogin to view all this month’s exclusive deals
Including breads and a glass of house wine - Tuesday to Friday. Please quote ‘Warner’s Budgens’ when making your booking on 01242 602366. Bookings are subject to availability and Terms & Conditions apply.
Chef's table archive
- Brussels sprouts gratin »
- Lamb shanks with winter vegetables »
- Butternut squash risotto with parsnip crisp and parmesan tuile »
- Sweetcorn fritters, poached duck egg, bacon and paprika hollandaise »
- Cherry Bakewell »
- Fruity Pavlova »
- Pan roasted rump of lamb with baby vegetables followed by chocolate tart with raspberry sorbet »
- Caramelised white chocolate, local strawberries & almond clusters »
- Scotch egg with asparagus, spinach and a mustard dressing »
- Leek and watercress risotto with poached free-range egg »
- White chocolate mousse with forced rhubarb »
- Piccalilli Salad »
- Sprout and chestnut hash, organic poached egg & cobnut dressing »
- Slow-cooked sweet potato and root vegetable hotpot »
- Spicy roast squash and pumpkin soup with garlic sauté mushrooms and herb oil »