British asparagus and pea risotto with lemon and crème fraiche
This lovely spring risotto makes the most of our local, seasonal flavours – find this and other asparagus recipes at britishasparagus.com.
- 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 25g butter
- 4 spring onions, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 150g arborio rice
- ½ glass of white wine
- 100g British peas
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 3 tbsp crème fraiche
- juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- handful of chives, chopped finely
- ½ green chilli, de-seeded, chopped finely
- half a bundle (approx. 125g) Vale of Evesham asparagus
- Place the stock on a slow heat and keep it there whilst you are making your risotto.
- In a separate large pan melt the butter and then add the spring onions, garlic and chilli and sweat until soft for 5 minutes.
- Then add the arborio rice and mix round well so it absorbs all the flavours and is well coated in butter, before adding the white wine.
- When the white wine has been absorbed, add the British asparagus spears and start adding ladleful by ladleful of stock, adding the next one when the one before has been absorbed.
- After 15 minutes of continual stirring and adding the stock, taste and adjust the seasoning and then add the peas. After a further 5 minutes turn the heat off, add the parmesan and crème fraiche, lemon zest and juice and let them melt in before serving and finishing off with some chopped chives.
Tinpot Hut Sauvignon Blanc £13.99
British asparagus, known locally as ‘green grass’, loves the grassy notes in a crisp sauvignon blanc and this is classic Marlborough at its best! Enjoy the intense aromas of fresh gooseberries and ripe capsicum followed by a pleasing underlying minerality.
£3.50 off Vinology’s Tinpot Hut Sauvignon BlancGet this voucher
Valid from Friday 5th May – Tuesday 30th May 2017
Try Vinology’s Tinpot Hut Sauvignon Blanc using your exclusive voucher
Chef's table archive
- Sweet potato, spinach & feta cheese pie with garlic cream sauce »
- Tenderloin of Todenham Manor Farm pork and black pudding with purple sprouting broccoli, creamed artichokes and crispy leeks »
- Grilled fillet of sea bass with warm vegetable salad and a lemon, honey and soy dressing »
- Pomegranate and Cranberry Fool »
- Roast celeriac soup with horseradish crème fraiche »
- Breast of grouse, bubble and squeak, honey and thyme roasted parsnips, fresh horseradish »
- Fig and Pear Granola Crumble »
- Poached Apricot, Almond Sponge & Nougatine »
- Peach & Almond Tart with Clotted Cream »
- Milk chocolate panna cotta, orange, nectarines and pistachios »
- Asparagus, Green Bean & New Potato Salad with a Mustard & Dill Dressing »
- Pan-fried seabream, buttered Jersey royals, rocket mint pesto, salted radish »
- Beetroot and Horseradish Soup »
- Rhubarb and Apple Crumble »
- Lemon Curd »